Anyone looking to pick up an Android Wear smartwatch now has one more option – As long as they live in the U.S. The ASUS ZenWatch is now available for purchase through both Google Play and Best Buy (although the latter already appears to be sold out).
Billed as a “smart companion and wellness manager,” sports a rectangular display but the case is more rounded than that of similar smartwatches. It also comes with a curved AMOLED display. It is also the first Android Wear device to sport an interface that has been modified by an OEM to offer additional features such as the exclusive ASUS ZenUI apps such as What’s Next and Do It Later.
ASUS ZenWatch (WI500Q) specifications
- Processor: 1.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 400
- Operating system: Android Wear with watch-specific version of ASUS ZenUI
- Cellular connectivity: None
- Other connectivity: Bluetooth 4.0
- Display: 1.63-inch (320×320 / 278DPI) AMOLED curved display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- RAM: 512MB
- Internal storage: 4GB
- External storage: None
- Rear-facing camera: None
- Front-facing camera: None
- Connectors: Micro-USB on charging cradle
- Battery: Polymer 1.4Wh
- Dimensions: 50.6 × 39.8 × 7.9 to 9.4 millimeters
- Weight: 50 grams (body) / 25 grams (strap)
- Colours: Silver and rose gold with brown leather strap
- Other: Water resistant (IP55 rated)
The ASUS ZenWatch sells for US$199.99. There is no word on if and when it will be made available here in Canada.