Pebble first announced that it would bring its new Timeline UI to the classic Pebble the same day that it announced the Pebble Time. Since then, the Pebble line of smartwatches has grown to include the Pebble Time Steel and the Pebble Time Round. Progress on getting the original Pebble updated has been slower but is finally upon us.
We promised to bring support for Pebble Time’s 3.0 operating system to the rest of our lineup as well. We’re happy to announce that timeline, unlimited apps, and more are on their way to Pebble Classic and Pebble Steel this month.
The update will kick off with a beta period during which a number of Android users will help field test the new firmware. The full public release of Pebble 3.8 will follow “soon after.”
If you want to beta test firmware 3.8 on the Pebble Classic or Pebble Steel:
- You will need an Android smartphone
- Request to join the Timeline for Pebble Classic Beta Group
- If your request is accepted, you will receive a beta version of the Pebble Time Android app (v3.8.0), downloadable from the Google Play Store. Invitations will be sent on a rolling basis and increase over time. Don’t worry if you aren’t immediately invited to be a beta tester.
- Migrate your Pebble Classic or Pebble Steel to Firmware 3.8 (instructions provided On Pebble’s Help page
Pebble also lists a few key points that anyone looking to upgrade to firmware 3.8 needs to be aware of:
- Watches upgraded to the Beta version of Firmware 3.8 can be operated in English only. The public version of 3.8 later this month will include support for French, German, and Spanish as well.
- The Pebble Time smartphone app (required to upgrade and manage any Pebble running 3.0+ firmware) is currently available in English only.
- The original Pebble app (which manages Pebbles running 2.X firmware) is available in English, French, and German, and Spanish.
- Chinese support is not available for watches on 3.0+ firmware. Chinese remains available on watches running Firmware below 3.0.
Restrictions within the iTunes App Store prevents iOS users from joining the beta test. They will need to wait until firmware 3.8 is publicly available to be able to download it later this month.
Are you looking forward to upgrading your classic Pebble to the new Timeline UI and Pebble Time 3.0? Let us know below.
Source : Pebble