A few days after it officially went on sale through Rogers Wireless, Samsung today formally announced the Samsung Captivate.
“With the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, we are taking the multimedia aspects of smartphone technology to an entirely new level and reinforcing to consumers why we’ve been the market leader for so long,” said Paul Brannen, vice president, Samsung Mobile Canada.
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate specifications:
- Processor: 1GHz Samsung Cortex A8 Hummingbird
- Operating system: Google Android 2.1 with Samsung’s Social Hub
- Connectivity: Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and tri-band HSPA/UMTS
- Other connectivity: A-GPS, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 3.0, DLNA
- Display: 4-inch WVGA Super AMOLED touchscreen
- Input: Virtual QWERTY keyboard with Swype technology
- Storage: 16GB onboard / microSD cards (up to 32GB)
- Camera: 5MP with auto-focus, LED flash, and HD video recording/playback
- Battery: 1500mAh
- Connectors: 3.5-mm headphone jack
- Dimensions / Weight: 122.9 x 60.2 x 9.99 millimeters / 125 grams
The Samsung Galaxy S Captivate is now available from Rogers for CA$179.99 with select 3-year contracts. Existing Rogers customers (who meet hardware upgrade eligibility requirements) can purchase it for CA$149.99 until November 1st.
Bell Mobility has been selling the similar Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant since early August. TELUS is also expected to launch a Galaxy S smartphone, the Fascinate, in the coming weeks.