As expected, Motorola announced its much rumoured Android tablet, the Motorola XOOM, as CES kicked off. It will be carried by Verizon Wireless.
“Light, powerful and fundamentally different than anything else on the market, Motorola XOOM leverages the very best technology available today to redefine what a tablet experience can be,” said Bill Ogle, chief marketing officer of Motorola Mobility. “The first device to feature software designed specifically for tablets, Motorola XOOM goes everywhere you do and delivers everything you need.”
Motorola XOOM specifications:
- Processor: Dual-core 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2
- Operating system: Google Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)
- Connectivity: 3G, 4G LTE upgradeable
- Other connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR
- Display: 10.1-inch HD touchscreen
- Memory: 1GB RAM
- Storage: 32GB onboard / SD cards (software update required)
- Camera: 5MP rear-facing camera with dual LED flash / 2MP front-facing camera
- Connectors: 3.5mm headphone jack, micro-USB
- Dimensions / weight: 249.1 by 167.8 by 12.9 millimeters / 730 grams
The Motorola XOOM will launch with 3G/Wi-Fi connectivity in the first quarter with a 4G LTE upgrade coming in Q2. As of Q2, it will be available as a 4G LTE/Wi-Fi-enabled device.