The mid-range Sony Xperia M2 was announced alongside the Xperia Z2 back at Mobile World Congress in February. Unlike its flagship sibling, the Xperia M2 came with Google Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Sony Mobile had good news this week for Rogers and TELUS owners of this device. An update to Android 4.4 KitKat is now rolling out.
— Sony Xperia CA (@SonyXperiaCA) August 29, 2014
Along with all the goodness found in Android 4.4 KitKat itself, the update brings a variety of Sony-specific updates:
- We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens
- Better storage choice – you now have the option to easily move applications from internal memory to SD card – we recognised the need to have more control over your content… as something particularly useful for devices with slightly less space
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, Smart Connect, TrackID, What’s New, and Battery STAMINA Mode, Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies
- And proving pretty popular, now totalling over 2 million downloads (!) – our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles…
- Compatibility with our SmartWear Experience; SmartBand SWR10 and Lifelog app – enabling you to record social, physical and entertainment activities and have them all visualised in a beautiful interface… reminisce at that past, make the best of the present and plan for the future
If you have yet to receive the update notification, you can check for the update manually via Settings -> About phone -> System Updates -> Check now. The update can also be installed via Sony’s PC Companion software.