After months of rumours, today was the day that Samsung finally unveiled the latest smartphone to take on the title of Galaxy S flagship. As expected, Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S5.
With 200 million Samsung Galaxy S devices sold to date, it is no surprise that the Samsung Galaxy S5 is an evolution over its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S4. It once again hangs on to the home button (with capacitive back and task switcher buttons) although it now comes with an integrated fingerprint scanner. The faux-leather finish has made way for a dimpled soft plastic back described as a “modern glam look.”
“With the Galaxy S5, Samsung is going back to basics to focus on delivering the capabilities that matter most to our consumers,” said JK Shin, President and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division at Samsung. “Consumers are looking for mobile tools that inspire and support them as they improve their everyday lives. The Galaxy S5 represents an iconic design with essential and useful features to focus on delivering the ultimate smartphone on the market today through people inspired innovation.”
Samsung Galaxy S5 specifications:
- Processor: 2.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
- Operating system: Google Android 4.4.2 KitKat with Samsung TouchWiz
- Cellular connectivity: LTE Cat 4
- Other connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 BLE / ANT+, NFC
- Display: 5.1-inch Full HD (1080×1920) Super AMOLED
- RAM: 2GB
- Internal storage: 16GB/32GB
- External storage: MicroSD cards up to 64GB
- Rear-facing camera: 16MP AF
- Front-facing camera: 2MP
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, compass, barometer, Hall, RGB ambient light, Gesture(IR), finger scanner, heart monitor
- Connectors: 3.5mm audio jack, Micro-USB (USB 3.0) port
- Battery: 2,800mAh with Ultra Power Saving Mode
- Dimensions: 142.0 × 72.5 × 8.1 millimeters
- Weight: 145 grams
- Colours: Charcoal Black, Shimmery White, Electric Blue and Copper Gold
- Other: Dust and waterproof (IP67), fingerprint scanner in Home key
The Samsung Galaxy S5 will roll out across the globe starting in April 2014. Nearly 150 countries will be part of the initial launch on April 11. Pricing was not announced today.
Samsung will offer a number of accessories as well. Among them will be cases and covers, wireless charging options and Samsung-branded headphones.
The rumours of a premium version of Samsung Galaxy S5 with a WQHD display will live on as this version did not materialize today. Could it be the main attraction at the next Unpacked event?
Source : Samsung Tomorrow