Nokia today announced that it has begun to roll out its Windows Phone 8 Lumia Black software update today. The first devices to receive it will be the Lumia 1020 and Lumia 925 with other devices set to receive it “in the coming weeks.” The update includes new features, improvements in imaging as well as both new and updated apps. Among these are the following:
- App Folder: The ability to group similar apps and settings into one folder, a tile, on your Start screen
- Nokia Glance screen 2.0: Improved display on the screen of notifications such as phone calls, email, appointments, social media apps and even games
- Bluetooth LE support
- Nokia Refocus: For Lumia smartphones with 1GB of RAM and more, this app lets you play with the camera focus after you have taken your picture
- Nokia Beamer: For Lumia smartphones with 1GB of RAM and more, the app now supports the sharing of a wider range of media and documents to any HTML5-enabled screen
- Nokia Storyteller: After introduction on Lumia 1520 and Lumia 2520, being made available to all Windows Phone 8 Lumia devices
- Nokia Camera: Combines Pro Camera and Smart Camera into a single app for all WP8 Lumia smartphones that did not already have it. It also adds raw DNG support for the Lumia 1020
- Various Microsoft updates including a driving mode
“Nokia Lumia Black updates the imaging experiences on your Lumia and makes using the Windows Phone even more fluid. New App Folders and the ability to close apps in multitasker are my personal favourites. I also encourage everyone to try out the Nokia Refocus app that introduces a whole new dimension to photography,” says Samuli Hänninen, vice president of software program management for Nokia’s Smart Devices business.
Here is a good summary of the new features:
The Lumia Black update has begun rolling out now for Lumia 1020 and Lumia 925 smartphones, with other models in the range following in the coming weeks.
As always, the usual caveat that “update availability may vary depending on your phone model, region, and network service provider or carrier” applies to the Lumia Black update.
According to Nokia’s North American schedule there is good news already for Canadian owners of the Nokia Lumia 1020: Both Rogers and TELUS have begun to roll out the update. Updates for the Lumia 520, Lumia 620 and Lumia 920 are all “waiting for approval.” It should not be long for these devices either!