Samsung announced yesterday that its next Unpacked event will take place on August 13th in New York City. The South Korean company is almost sure to unveil the latest iteration of its Galaxy Note phablet, the Galaxy Note 5. If past events are any indication, it could also unveil a few other devices and accessories. Along with the Galaxy S6 edge Plus (a larger version of the S6 edge), The Wall Street Journal today reports that Samsung could also bring a new smartwatch, likely the oft-rumoured Samsung Gear A, to the event.
Citing anonymous sources, the report adds that a final decision has yet to be made. This may explain why so few rumours have mentioned a smartwatch in reference to the next Unpacked event.
Should Samsung decide to unveil its latest smartwatch at Galaxy Unpacked 2015, it could bring with it a limited version of its new Samsung Pay mobile payment solution. Details are slim but the watch could allow users to pay for transit. This is quite plausible as Samsung earlier this year promised to launch its Apple Pay competitor in the second half of the year.
Recently, we learned that the Samsung Gear A could come with the following specifications:
- Processor: 1.2GHz dual-core Samsung Exynos 3472 with Mali-400 MP4 GPU
- Operating system: Samsung Tizen
- Cellular connectivity: None
- Other connectivity: GPS, Bluetooth 4.1 (variant to include 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi)
- Display: 360×360 pixel circular display (confirmed by the latest Gear SDK)
- RAM: 768 MB
- Internal storage: 4GB
- External storage: None
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer and heart rate sensor
- Battery: 250mAh
- Other: Digital crown, rotating bezel ring
Here’s hoping that Samsung does decide to unveil the Gear A at Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015.
Source : The Wall Street Journal