After months of rumours, Samsung gave us our first glimpse at its next smartwatch, the Samsung Gear S2, at Galaxy Unpacked 2015. It has now posted the teaser video it showed off at the event on YouTube for everyone’s viewing pleasure.
For anyone who missed the August 13th event, the Gear S2 teaser showcases a smartwatch with a round display (and no black bar anywhere). Along with a number of new watch faces, some typical smartwatch features such as weather information, a chronometer, fitness tracking and heart rate monitoring, are quickly shown off. It looks like at least some watch faces will display notifications around the display.
We also get a glimpse at how the round interface will look and work. A number of app icons are arranged and we can see a pointer move around them presumably as the user turns the bezel ring.
Among the apps we can see are a calling app, a calendar, a weather app as well as S Health and Nike+ Running.
Past rumours have suggested that the Samsung Gear S2 (or Gear A as it was known back then) will come with the following specifications:
- Processor: 1.2GHz dual-core Samsung Exynos 3472 with Mali-400 MP4 GPU
- Operating system: Samsung Tizen 2.3.1 (confirmed)
- Cellular connectivity: None
- Other connectivity: GPS, Bluetooth 4.1 (variant to include 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi)
- Display: 360×360 pixel circular display (confirmed by the latest Gear SDK)
- RAM: 768 MB
- Internal storage: 4GB
- External storage: None
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope, barometer and heart rate sensor
- Battery: 250mAh
- Other: Digital crown, rotating bezel ring
Samsung will unveil the Gear S2 at an event on September 3rd.