Casio announced last summer that it would soon jump into the smartwatch arena with a watch “that tries to be smart, rather than a smart device that is also a watch.” It unveiled the Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch at CES 2016. Powered by Android Wear, it offers a unique feature not seen on other smartwatches to date.
The rugged Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch sports a dual layer display with both a monochrome and colour LCD. The former allows users to see measurement data and apps in full colour like many other smartwatch displays.
The monochrome Timepiece Mode (seen below) is limited to watch data only but significantly prolongs battery life. Casio claims that the watch can run for more than a month when in Timepiece Mode.
The Casio WSD-F10 also comes with a number of dedicated applications tied to outdoor activities and sports. Among the information it can display is compass direction, air pressure and altitude, sunrise and sunset times, changes in the natural environment, tide graphs and real-time activity graphs. The data can also be fed back to the Casio Moment Setter+ smartphone app.
It also includes apps such as ViewRanger GPS app for trekking, Runkeeper and the MyRadar weather app. Users also have access to the full suite of apps already built for Android Wear.
Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch specifications
- Operating system: Google Android Wear
- Cellular connectivity: None
- Other connectivity: 802.11 g/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1 LE
- Display: 1.32-inch (320×300) dual-layer with colour TFT LCD and monochrome LCD
- Sensors: Pressure (air pressure, altitude) sensor, accelerometer, gyrometer, compass (magnetic) sensor
- Battery: Lithium-ion
- Dimensions: 61.7 × 56.4 × 15.7 millimeters
- Weight: 93 grams (including watchband)
- Water resistance: 5ATM (50 meters)
- Colours: Green, Orange, Black, Red
- Strap: Urethane plastic
- Other: MIL-STD-810 certification
With a focus on the outdoors and an imposing size, the Casio WSD-F10 may not make its way on your wrist for daily use when going to the office. But with buttons designed to work even when you’re wearing gloves and a MIL-STD-810 certification, it certainly will appeal to those spending plenty of time outdoors.
The Casio WSD-F10 Smart Outdoor Watch will sell for about US$500 (about CA$700). It is expected to launch first in Japan in March with the U.S. set to follow in April.
Source : Casio