Microsoft has released an update to ActiveSync, its synchronization software for Windows Mobile-powered devices. Among the new features are:
- A device can stay connected to cellular and wireless networks while also connected to PC.
- Integrated Information Rights Management (IRM) activation is available from the PC.
- You can enroll for device certificates from the PC.
- Support is provided for HTML formatted e-mail.
- Microsoft Windows Installer technology provides a seamless installation process.
- The application has been visually updated.
- An integrated troubleshooter utility is included.
- You can log on to Microsoft Exchange using just a user name and password.
- Overall stability has been improved.
- Improvements to PIN lock have also improved the interaction between the PC and the device.
- USB support has been improved.
- The user interface and new partnership wizard have both been enhanced.
- More robust synchronization with Outlook is provided.
There is still no support for remote sync via Wi-Fi or an Internet connection so you rely on those, stick with your current version of ActiveSync.
Vista users do not need this upgrade as they have access to the Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC).