Good news today on the BlackBerry front. The company just announced that it will resume the deployment of BBM for Android and iPhone “in the next few hours.” This follows a report early last week that it would be available “within days.”
The demand for BBM on Android and BBM on iPhone continues to be amazing. About six million people signed up for information about BBM at BBM.com. As you know, in just seven hours, about one million Android users were using the unreleased version of BBM for Android. What you don’t know is that more than one million people have found creative ways to “side load” BBM on their iPhone. This is incredible.
It was this unreleased version that caused BlackBerry to halt the deployment after it began to affect the BBM system. Unable to correct them during the rollout, it chose to put the deployment on hold until it could get it resolved.
To ensure that there are no issues this time around, BlackBerry has implemented a line-up system:
- Download BBM – the easiest way is to visit BBM.com from your Android or iPhone browser
- Once you install the app, open it, and enter your email address to hold your spot in line
- We will email you as soon as you reach the front of the line and can start using BBM
Those who signed up at BBM.com will not need to wait to start using the new app. They will be able to use it immediately after downloading it.
BBM for Android require version 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or higher while BBM for the iPhone requires iOS6 or higher.
Let us know if you plan on downloading BBM for Android and iPhone.
Update: As promised, BBM for Android and iPhone are now available on Google Play and iTunes respectively. Here are the links:
- Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bbm
- iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/bbm/id690046600?ls=1&mt=8
Source : Inside BlackBerry Blog