Given the number of leaks about the Xperia Z1 (also as the Xperia i1/Honami), it should come as no surprise that Sony today unveiled the Xperia Z1. Taking many design cues from the Xperia Z, it features what Sony calls a OmniBalance design that incorporates durable tempered glass and a solid one-piece aluminium frame.
“Xperia Z1 represents a significant milestone for Sony in our continued efforts to deliver unforgettable experiences to our consumers,” said Kunimasa Suzuki, President and CEO, Sony Mobile Communications. “Not only by bringing the power of Sony to the smartphone and through close collaboration with our partners but by setting a new standard in premium smartphones.”
Sony Xperia Z1 specifications:
- Processor: 2.2GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
- Operating system: Google Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Cellular connectivity: LTE/HSPA+/GPRS/EDGE
- Other connectivity: GPS/GLONASS, Wi-Fi 802.11 1a/b/g/n/ac (dual-band), Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA, NFC
- Display: 5-inch Full HD (1080×1920) TRILUMINOS
- RAM: 2GB
- Internal storage: 16GB
- External storage: MicroSD cards up to 64GB
- Rear-facing camera: 20.7MP with 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS CMOS sensor and G-Lens (f/2.0 aperture and 27mm wide angle) and mobile image processing BIONZ engine
- Front-facing camera: 2MP
- Battery: 3,000mAh
- Dimensions: 144.4 × 73.9 × 8.5 millimeters
- Weight: 170 grams
- Colors: Black, purple and white
- Other: IP55/IP58 certified
With a heavy focus on its camera, the Xperia Z1 will also come with a number of apps. The following will be available at launch:
- Social live: Broadcast precious moments live from Xperia Z1 to Facebook and get your friends’ comments right on your screen.
- Info-eye: Innovative visual search function that provides related information on landmarks and on items such as books or wine simply by capturing them with the camera.
- Timeshift burst: Capture the perfect shot every time – Xperia Z1 takes 61 images in 2 seconds – a second before and after pressing the shutter – so you can scroll back and forth to find the perfect image.
- AR effect: Overlay a selection of fun, customizable animations to create pictures using Sony’s SmartARTM augmented reality technology.
More apps will also be available through the Sony Select store after launch.
Sony will offer a cloud storage service called PlayMemories Online with unlimited storage. It should be noted though that photos larger than 1920 pixels on its longest side will be resized by the service to 1920 pixels. It will initially be available in both Canada and the U.S. as well as a number of other countries. A new ‘All Sync’ feature will instantly upload all photos to PlayMemories.
The Sony Xperia Z1 will launch later this month. Specific markets and pricing were not announced.