As promised, BlackBerry has pushed out an updated version of BBM for Android and iPhone to their respective app stores. It adds a number of new features and enhancements (as well as bug fixes) including, in the iPhone version, support for the Wi-Fi-only iPad and iPod touch.
According to BlackBerry, BBM for iPhone version 184.108.40.206 comes with
- Support for iPod and iPad devices running iOS 6 and iOS 7
- Invite BBM contacts to BBM Groups by Email
- ‘Tell your friends’ feature helps you connect with friends on BBM
- Quickly share your BBM PIN and PIN barcode to your social networks
- Fixes an issue where some users would be missing BBM Contact names
- Resolves some issues experienced in right to left language support
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
The updated BBM for Android version (220.127.116.11) comes with a slightly different set of new features. It includes the following:
- Support for BBM Contact Categories
- BBM Group List sorting and filtering improvements
- More options for sharing your BBM PIN Barcode
- Find your friends on other social networks who are also using BBM
- Addresses an issue where some users may have experienced higher battery use
BlackBerry continues to make it easier to not only add new friends to BBM but also let them know that you are using the messaging platform. One new tool to do so is the Share PIN option. It allows you to quickly share your PIN barcode across a variety of social networks.
BBM experienced a resurgence with the release of the Android and iPhone versions last month. It added 20 million new users in the first week it was available.