When Pebble launched Pebble OS 2.0, it did so first with the iOS version. It took another month before the Android version was released in part because the “nuanced and varying characteristics” of multiple versions of the OS as well as the range of Android devices required additional effort. Pebble has released a few updates since then and another is available as of today.
This latest version of the Pebble Android app, version 2.0.15, promises a “more stable experience with this latest update, especially regarding the reliability of Bluetooth connections across a wide range of compatible Android devices.”
The changelog confirms the emphasis of this release on stability and performance improvements:
- Improved overall stability
- Improved performance in app load times and responsiveness
- Improved Bluetooth connection reliability, especially for sports and fitness applications
- Support for selecting a Pebble from multiple paired Pebbles
- Ability to connect to a Pebble when there is no Internet connection
- Added notifications for firmware updates (when Pebble app is running in the foreground)
- New features in 2.0 require Android 4.0 or newer
The Pebble Android app is compatible with both the original Pebble and the Pebble Steel (which we just reviewed). It is available as a free download through Google Play.