Right on cue, Tag Heuer today unveiled its first smartwatch, the Tag Heuer Connected Watch. As CEO Jean-Claude Biver explained, “Today is the marriage of watch valley and silicon valley” as Tag Heuer partnered with Google and Intel to develop its first smartwatch. It combines traditional watch looks and Tag Heuer’s famous build quality with the capabilities of an Android Wear smartwatch.
Tag Heuer Connected Watch specifications:
- Processor: 1.6GHz dual-core Intel
- Operating system: Google Android Wear
- Cellular connectivity: None
- Other connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth BLE 4.1
- Display: 1.5-inch (360×360 / 240 PPI) fully circular LTPS LCD with sapphire crystal
- RAM: 1GB
- Internal storage: 4GB
- External storage: None
- Sensors: Gyroscope, tilt detection sensor, microphone, haptic engine
- Battery: 410mAh
- Case diameter: 46 millimeters
- Case thickness: 12 millimeters
- Case material: Grade 2 titanium with sandblasted carbide-coated titanium bezel
- Weight: 81 grams (52 grams for case adn 29 grams for bracelet)
- Water resistance: IP67 splash-proof water resistance
- Strap: Vulcanized rubber strap with grade 2 titanium folding clasp
- Colours: Straps available in blue, green, orange, red, white and yellow
- Other: Wireless charging
As you would expect from a smartwatch, a selection of watch faces are available. In this case, it is a collection of classic Tag Heuer ones. A suite of microapplications also lets you customize the display with sub-dials to display additional much as traditional watches do with complications.
The Tag Heuer Connected also comes with “directional wind and weather monitoring.” But unlike many current-generation smartwatches, it lacks a heart rate monitor.
Back in March, Tag Heuer suggested that its connected watch would be upgradeable. Explaining that Tag Heuer is obsessed with eternity, Biver revealed exactly how this will be done. Unfortunately, there is no technological wonder involved. A Tag Heuer Connected Watch owner will have the chance to exchange their smartwatch for a traditional Carrera model “that will look just like it” for an additional US$1,500 after two years. It would sadly appear that the Tag Heuer smartwatch is as disposable as other smartwatches on the market.
The Tag Heuer Connected went on sale today in 20 stores in the U.S. for US$1,500. It will also be available in Canada but solely through Raffi Jewellers’s Yorkdale Mall location in Toronto for CA$1,650.
Source : Tag Heuer
The POGO pins on the bottom suggest no wireless charging.
Comments are closed.