Tag Heuer jumped into the smartwatch game last month when it unveiled its Tag Heuer Connected Watch, the first device to emerge from its new partnership with Google and Intel. The Swiss watchmaker will increase production from 1,200 to 2,000 units a week to meet demand.
Company CEO Jean-Claude Biver told Bloomberg via email that now reports that the company has already received requests from some 100,000 pieces from its retailers, agents and subsidiaries. While Apple has nothing to fear from the Tag Heuer Connected Watch, the number is nonetheless impressive for what is a luxury timepiece.
Demand from brick-and-mortar stores has been so strong that Tag Heuer will suspend online sales of the Tag Heuer Connected Watch until May or June.
Tag Heuer Connected Watch specifications:
- Processor: 1.6GHz dual-core Intel
- Operating system: Google Android Wear
- Cellular connectivity: None
- Other connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth BLE 4.1
- Display: 1.5-inch (360×360 / 240 PPI) fully circular LTPS LCD with sapphire crystal
- RAM: 1GB
- Internal storage: 4GB
- External storage: None
- Sensors: Gyroscope, tilt detection sensor, microphone, haptic engine
- Battery: 410mAh
- Case diameter: 46 millimeters
- Case thickness: 12 millimeters
- Case material: Grade 2 titanium with sandblasted carbide-coated titanium bezel
- Weight: 81 grams (52 grams for case adn 29 grams for bracelet)
- Water resistance: IP67 splash-proof water resistance
- Strap: Vulcanized rubber strap with grade 2 titanium folding clasp
- Colours: Straps available in blue, green, orange, red, white and yellow
- Other: Wireless charging
The Tag Heuer Connected Watch sells for US$1,500 (CA$1,650) through some 20 stores in the U.S. and one in Canada.
Biver also revealed that we can expect to see more Tag Heuer smartwatches in the near future. “Considering the success of this single and unique watch, we will develop a collection made out of different varieties, executions and materials at the end of next year or beginning of 2017,” Biver said. Among the new models could be a gold and a diamond set version.
Source : Bloomberg